Recently there have been a lot of discussions on forums, our Facebook and Twitter pages, main support page, and other sites, whether Freemake is a safe-to-use tool. We decided to clarify this matter and give you detailed answers to the most asked questions.
Is Freemake Safe?
Yes, Freemake is safe to use. Freemake software is developed by a professional team. It has been tested and reviewed by the leading tech experts. Thus, Freemake is completely safe for your computer and won’t affect it in any way.
Freemake Video Converter and Freemake Video Downloader do not include any 3rd party ads anymore. You can install both programs onto your PC safely.
Freemake is virus-free. We have never distributed viruses, and we will never do it!
Why Should I Believe You?
No doubt, it’s a logical question from your side. We’ll try to protect our reputation below as any other company would do in such a situation.
Freemake was launched in 2010 and has been successfully operating since then. Of course, you know what a bad Internet review means for any company. If Freemake was really a spyware and really distributed viruses, barely we’d still exist.
Besides, the software was reviewed by the leading tech experts and sites like PCWorld, Expertreviews, PC Advisor, and many others. Freemake software were distributed many times on the cover discs of Chip, PC Pro, Win Magazine, Computershopper, Computer Build, etc. Do you think such affluent sources will advertise and distribute a crap? No. They spent years gaining their reputation and they’ll do their best to keep it. Thus, advising bad software is not possible.
Why Does My Antivirus Software Flag Freemake?
What you got from your antivirus (AV) software is called a false positive. False positive detections are common in the antivirus industry. They occur when a good program is wrongfully flagged as malicious due to an overly broad detection signature or algorithm used in an antivirus product. All famous AV companies regularly update their products with the new algorithm and signatures, thus don’t forget to update your protection software as soon as the new protection package is out.
You should also keep in mind that some antivirus products share the same detection engine or malware signatures. This is the result of inter-vendor partnerships that regular users are often unaware of. It means that three separate antivirus programs may block Freemake due to a detection error made by one of these antivirus software.
Why Does Freemake Get a False Positive?
Freemake products receive a false positive warning if you download the software from 3d party sites that include ads and toolbars to get revenue. Please always download and update Freemake software only at www.freemake.com.
One more reason can be an old version of your AV software. Please keep the antivirus tool always up-to-date.
Whenever you downloaded the software from the official site and your AV is updated, but your AV tool removes or blocks Freemake programs, please submit request at support.freemake.com.
What Other Tools Can Block Freemake?
Apart from your main antivirus software, your PC has two more antivirus barriers. They include:
- Firewall. It is a network security system installed on all PCs that monitors and controls the incoming and outgoing network traffic based on predetermined security rules.
- Web Setting. It is usually a toolbar provided by your antivirus software as additional protection for your PC. It can be McAfee site advisor, Avira SearchFree, Trend Micro Toolbar, and many others.
Please note that you should not install several antivirus tools at the same time. They mostly can’t operate well together and can affect the whole PC performance.
How Can I Know That Freemake Is Blocked?
First of all, let’s find out how to understand that Freemake software is blocked by your PC protection tools.
- Your antivirus software shows you a message when you download or install Freemake software.
- The downloaded .exe file is silently removed from your PC.
- The download of Freemake software suddenly stops and disappears.
- Freemake software starts and automatically closes.
- Freemake software is removed after you restore the PC.
- Freemake software can’t connect to the Web to download videos and music. In this case, you might get a corresponding message from Freemake.
In case you can’t download Freemake products, it doesn’t exactly mean that something blocks Freemake on your PC. Before checking your computer protection settings, please check the following steps:
- try to download Freemake from several browsers;
- make sure your Internet connection is stable all the way through;
- if you use proxy or VPN, please turn it off;
- In rare cases, we might have technical problems with our site. We always do our best to fix them asap. Thus, wait for a couple of hours and try to download Freemake products again.
If you downloaded and installed the software with success, but can’t launch it, please check this guide. Alternatively, you may remove all Freemake traces from your PC, download the latest version from our site and install it again.
What to Do If My AV Software Blocks Freemake?
First of all, keep in mind to download Freemake products only from our official website. Freemake website is safe, and Freemake is safe to download only from freemake.com. We are NOT responsible for the products published elsewhere.
In case Freemake is blocked by your firewall, please turn it off for some time. That’s how you can do it:
- Click the Start button icon, and choose Control Panel. In the search box, type firewall, and then click Windows Firewall.
- Select Turn Windows Firewall on or off. You must be a PC administrator to change this option.
- Click Turn off Windows Firewall under each network location that you want to stop protecting, and then click OK.
Don’t forget to turn the firewall on when you download and install Freemake.
If your AV software removes Freemake .exe file that you are downloading from the official Freemake site, turn the antivirus off for a couple of moments. Download and install Freemake software and enable your PC protection again. Please google for a corresponding guide to turning off your AV protection.
Please note that in some conditions Freemake may work on your PC even being blocked by the AV software. However, in these cases, you won’t be able to download online videos and music. Besides, we can’t guarantee you a stable software performance. To download and enjoy all Freemake features without limitations, you should add Freemake software into the whitelist of your antivirus. A whitelist is a list of sites and software that is allowed to work on your PC. You can add there the software you trust to prevent any possible blocking.
That’s how you can add Freemake into a whitelist of McAfee, for example.
- Click on the McAfee in the tray and choose Open McAfee LiveSafe – Internet Security to open the main McAfee window.
- When the main window appears, choose Manage security.
- Then select Virus and Spyware Protection.
- A new window will open. Choose Real-Time Scanning.
- Click the Turn Off button.
- Confirm your choice.
- Return to the main McAfee window and go to Web and Email Protection.
- Choose the FireWall option.
- Click the Turn Off button.
- Confirm your choice.
- Download Freemake software and, when a warning window appears, choose Download Anyway.
- Run Freemake software and make sure it works properly.
From now on, Freemake won’t be blocked by your AV software.