Do you want to record a video of yourself to share it in social channels? No problem, just make sure that you have a web camera! Then you have two options: either download and install screen capturing software on your PC or look for an online tool which will do the recording job without spamming your HDD. I’m after the second solution!Not long ago we had the task to find a good online tool to capture a webcam video. It was needed to record a video with tech journalists sharing their ideas about Freemake software. And our choice fell on Screencast-o-Matic.
What I personally liked about this tool:
– it’s a web app, so no crappy video recording software downloads;
– it’s simple and fast;
– allows to record video of Full HD quality;
– no bugs or problems detected.
Still in spite of all pluses, there is one evident drawback: to take most of this tool, you need to purchase the Pro version ($15 /1 year). Of course, with a free account you may record a video of your desktop with a webcam rectangle in the lower right corner, but it won’t be the only webcam picture. The free option perfectly suits for making software reviews and how-to’s, as the main attention is usually attached to the software interface. You may start recording even without logging in. However, if you want to be the only star of your video, consider going Pro. With it, the tool captures only your webcam picture, what is ideal for video blog posts or interviews.
To record a video, make sure your browser can run Java plug-in and do the following:
1. Click “Start recording”. You’ll see the following panel
2. Click “Show Advanced”, then choose your camera (1.) and switch to webcam mode (2.)
3. Record your message and click “Done”. Play your recording to make sure it’s ok.
4. Download your video onto a PC, send it to YouTube, GoogleDocs, or save it your Screencast-o-Matic collection.
There are also some nice features from which you can benefit a lot:
– auto-adjust volume to normalize your microphone sound;
– frame rate control (for Pro) to get video of high quality;
– drag and resize of recording area;
– script adding (for Pro) to add captions to your video.
Here is the result of this app work:
Don’t forget that you may use Freemake Video Converter to join video parts of your recording or convert it to a certain format or device.