Facetime is a video calling application that comes together with iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Mac OS Lion and higher. Unlike Skype that works over both 3G and Wi-Fi networks and on almost all platforms, FaceTime requires a fast Wi-Fi connection and only works on Apple devices. It means you can easily call from iPad to Mac or iPhone, from Mac to iPod and so on. No doubt, Skype desktop version is much better and has more functions, but FaceTime gives better video and audio quality to its users. Let’s learn how to use FaceTime on your Apple device.
How to Activate FaceTime
First thing you should to start using FaceTime is to activate it on your iPhone, iPad, iPod or Mac. If you already have Apple ID, it’ll take you a couple of minutes. In case you are a new Apple user and you don’t have Apple ID, you should create it following this guide. When you are done, follow the instructions below.
Activate FaceTime on iPhone
- Go to Settings app.
- Scroll down and choose FaceTime.
- If you use an iPhone, your phone number will be registered in FaceTime automatically.
- Add your email by tapping Use your Apple ID for FaceTime.
- Sign in with your Apple ID.
- Set Caller ID (email or phone number) that will be shown to your friends when you call them.
Activate FaceTime on iPod or iPad
- Run Settings app.
- Find FaceTime tab.
- Tap Use your Apple ID for FaceTime.
- Sign in with your Apple account.
Activate FaceTime on Mac
- Go to apps and choose FaceTime if it’s not on your Dashboard.
- Move the toggler button at the right corner to activate FaceTime.
- All your data should sync with iPhone automatically.
- In case it didn’t happen, insert manually your Apple ID in Preferences.
How to Use FaceTime
Now, when you activated FaceTime on your Apple gadget, let’s learn step by step how to make free calls with FaceTime. It’s really easy!
Make FaceTime calls on iPhone
iPhone users should only tap FaceTime icon while talking on the phone and in case your friend agrees to use video chatting, you are done. Alternatively, you may:
- Open the Contacts app.
- Tap your friend’s name.
- Tap FaceTime icon to make a call.
Another option is to:
- Run FaceTime app
- Choose whether you want to make a video or audio only call.
- Type your friend’s name in the search bar.
- Tap FaceTime camera or phone sign to make a call.
Please note, you’d better not shake your phone too much while video chat or the image will be blurred. And don’t forget that iPhone uses the upper microphone for video calls so if you continue to speak in a lower one, your friend will barely hear you.
Make FaceTime calls on iPad iPod Touch
There is only one way to use FaceTime on these gadgets:
- Run the application on your device and when it starts, you’ll see your contact list. Every person who is registered in FaceTime will have a special camera sign near his name.
- Tap this sign and wait till your friend hears the call.
If you don’t want to use the video chat for some reason, you can switch off the camera and use only audio during the conversation. You may also turn on the rear camera instead of a front one and let your friend enjoy the design of your flat.
Make FaceTime calls on Mac
Since Mac OS Lion it’s become possible to make FaceTime calls on Apple computers. You can use it in the same way as on iPod or iPad:
- Just run the FaceTime program on your Mac.
- Choose a contact and click it to make a call.
- Wait till your friend accepts the call.
One more feature of Facetime to mention is that the program can work even when it’s not running. If someone is calling you, the program will start automatically, so you won’t miss an important call.
Have you ever used FaceTime on your devices? What do you like more FaceTime or Skype?